Spicy Tortellini Chowder
Spicy Tortellini Chowder is great for the winter!
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped poblano pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 cups cheese tortellini
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 15 ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 pint half-and-half cream
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook onion, bell pepper, chile pepper, garlic and jalapeno in butter until tender but not brown for 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, potatoes, cumin, salt, pepper and red pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes until potatoes are just tender.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour and vegetable oil. Pour into soup, increase heat to medium, and cook until thickened and bubbly. Stir in corn, half-and-half and tortellini and heat through.