Brat and Sauerkraut Soup
We got this recipe from Midwest Living.
- 1 pound uncooked bratwurst, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 pound tiny new red potatoes, quartered
- 2 small onions, cut into 1/4 inch wedges or coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 14.5 ounce can Bavarian-style sauerkraut
- 2 14.5 ounce cans lower-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Sour Cream
- In a large skillet, cook bratwurst slices over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned on all sides, stirring frequently. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In a 4 to 5 quart slow cooker, combine potatoes, onions, celery, garlic and bay leaves. Top with browned bratwurst and sauerkraut. In a large bowl, whisk together broth, mustard, vinegar, paprika, fennel seeds and caraway seeds. Pour into cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Discard the bay leaves. If desired, top each serving with sour cream.